My Kitchen Makeover

kitchenbeforeafter

Give me a can of paint and I am Dangerous….

Dangerously Good!

My kitchen makeover is almost complete…is anything ever completely complete?

Here it the official before photo, taken on the day we moved in.

kitchenbefore

I love this kitchen!

I love it because it is really big and functions really well for us.  I know lots of you are ripping out the kitchen desks (mine is located on the wall on the left), but I love a desk in the kitchen! The kitchen is the central place in a home, especially with kids.  We have our computer in the kitchen.  I think with kids that is a very good idea! One of the biggest reasons we bought this house was for the kitchen.  I could see right past that outdated oak cabinetry because I knew that I could paint it and love it.  Also, the counter tops and appliances were fairly new.  Knowing I did not need to replace them right away really helped.

The first thing we did was have the popcorn ceilings scraped and the walls painted.  That alone was a huge improvement!  I lived with it like that for several months trying to decide how I would paint the cabinets.  I LOVE white cabinets, but I did that in the last house.  White cabinets are fabulous, but a pain to keep clean!

On a whim one day, I broke out the Paris Grey Chalk Paint….because I had about 20 million more pressing things to do…but oh well….

kitchenbefore2

These cabinets are 21 years old, they did indeed need a super duper clean job.  ALL kitchen cabinets, regardless of age, need to be THOROUGHLY cleaned an prepped….no matter what kind of paint you are using.  I lightly sanded them with 150 grid sandpaper (to loosen the debris)…and used some child labor for this one.  I then SCRUBBED the heck out of them with TSP cleaner and a Scotch Brite Pad, and then wiped them down with Denatured Alcohol.

kitchen9

I applied 2 coats of Paris Grey Chalk Paint, lightly distressed the edges, and then wiped on some clear wax.

Look, I even painted over ALL of the hinges!  I did not want to invest the money and time in purchasing and installing new hinges for cabinets that I hope to replace in a few years.

kitchen7

I got all new brushed nickel hardware online from Cook Knobs and Pulls for $63 for the ENTIRE kitchen, and that included shipping!

kitchen2I painted the inside of the shelves above the desk in Pure White Chalk Paint.

kitchen4I removed the cabinet doors from this section, and painted the insides with Pure White Chalk Paint.

Kitchen1We also removed the wooden valance board that was over the sink.  It was hiding a super ugly florescent light.  We trimmed out the sides with the pieces we took off and had a pendant light ($89 from Home Depot) installed.  While we were having the bathroom done, I sporadically decided to do a white subway tile backsplash…that made a huge difference as well!!

kitchenbeforebs

The cost of the materials for the backsplash was only $200, plus the labor to install.  Very pleased with this decision!

kitchen3

I’m so, so, so in love with it!  It feels so light and bright!

kitchen6

I also installed a $29 brushed nickel barn light from Home Depot to replace the oil rubbed bronze one.

I still need to do something about that ceiling fan.  I will either replace it with a flush light or paint it white so it just blends into the ceiling.

If you want to read more about my fabulous kitchen table here is a post I did on that.

Basically in 6 weeks, and not a whole lot of money, I was able to completely give my kitchen a whole new look and feel!

And because many have asked, my counter tops are actually laminate, although they look like granite, and I really love them! I’m surprised at how much I love them.  Many of my friends with granite have complained about the clean up of their counters. These wipe up great!  And ironically….we have the same countertops in our RV….CRAZY!  It was meant to be!

Now I can just kick back and enjoy the fabulous view from the kitchen window!

kitchen5

Here is a resource list for materials used and costs:

Paris Grey Chalk Paint® – Purchased 2 cans, used about 1 and 1/2 cans (I did not paint the inside of the cabinet doors so this saved a lot of paint and time)  $83.16

Pure White Chalk Paint® – Purchased 1 can, used about 1/3, for the inside of the cabinets – $41.58

Annie Sloan Clear Soft Wax – I used about 1/2 a can, but still need to finish putting on a second coat – $28.78

The kitchen back splash was tiled by Andy Beach of Champion Tile, based here in the Triad area of NC.  Cost of tile $200 plus labor.

Walls are painted Snowbound by Sherwin Williams

Lighting was purchased at Home Depot

19 Comments on My Kitchen Makeover

1. Leslie
    March 25, 2014 at 1:20 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks for sharing! I have been contemplating my peach oak cabinets and a can of antique white chalk paint for a year now…. 😉 I may need to saw a new project today!

2. bettyann
    March 25, 2014 at 2:18 pm (3 years ago)

Fabulous…great to see a normal, cheap and gorgeous make-over…I love how you used the sloan paint….Thank you for the inspiration.

3. Christy @ Our Southern Home
    March 25, 2014 at 2:24 pm (3 years ago)

It turned out fabulous!!!!! I always enjoying seeing what you are up to! Happy painting! PS. I use teen labor whenever I can!!! ~Christy

4. Kara
    March 26, 2014 at 1:00 pm (3 years ago)

So pretty! I’ve been contemplating the same updates – and you’ve inspired me with this post. I’m going to check out the chalk paint for a vintage feel. How did you distress them??

5. Monique
    March 28, 2014 at 4:00 pm (3 years ago)

you mentioned you cleaned the cabinets with “TSP cleaner” – what is that?

6. Chrystal
    March 29, 2014 at 12:58 pm (3 years ago)

Your kitchen make over is amazing! My daughter has used chalk paint on a number of pieces and says that it is very user friendly. I have a question regarding cleaning the cabinets once they have been painted. I have 5 little grand kids who spend a lot of time with me in my kitchen. Can the cabinets be wiped clean easily? I have heard conflicting reports.

7. Nancie
    March 31, 2014 at 12:10 pm (3 years ago)

I love your kitchen it’s amazing what some paint can do. I have the same layout as you in my kitchen and I painted my kitchen cabinets with annie sloan old white used a opalescent tile backspash and clear glass knobs. It’s fun to see different ideas of kitchens DIYS. Thanks for sharing!
    Nancie

8. Michele (Stiltskin Studios)
    April 25, 2014 at 5:22 pm (3 years ago)

Looks GREAT! We painted our kitchen cabinets, as well, and they’ve held up wonderfully!

9. Katey
    July 4, 2014 at 8:37 pm (3 years ago)

Only problem is your countertops. They do not match. If it was a white hue it would work. You need to work with your granite not against it. Otherwise your work is Fab! darling….

10. MaureenB
    August 14, 2014 at 5:14 pm (3 years ago)

I love this makeover. I am a great fan of ASCP, have painted lots of furniture with it. I see you did this in March, can you let me know how it is holding up? I also have my cooking and prep area away from the cabinets and backsplash and have been thinking of painting my cabinets with ASCP. I just installed a tile backsplash that is a little too blue-grey, what to do? Maybe paint the tiles?

11. MaureenB
    August 14, 2014 at 5:16 pm (3 years ago)

Oh yeah, I like your counters relate to your warm wood floors. My brand new counters are laminate and I adore them!

12. Kimberly
    November 18, 2014 at 3:28 pm (2 years ago)

Looks fabulous! How did you fill in the holes from where the hinges must have been on the shelves that you left open? I’m getting to paint my cabinets with chalk paint and would like to take off a cabinet door, but there would be large holes from the hinges.

13. Sharrell
    January 13, 2015 at 8:31 pm (2 years ago)

Glad I found this on Pinterest…you cabinets are exactly the same style as mine (though my kitchen is much smaller than yours), and I have been planning a Paris Gray overhaul. I also need to change appliances, so I’ve been debating about stainless vs solid black or white (which I hear is coming back in style). I already have a Stainless fridge, but dishwasher and oven are black. The stainless looks good with the Paris Gray in your kitchen. Your post helped me solidify my plan. Thank you for the breakdown of how much paint you used as well.

14. Peachy Keen Mumma - Jess
    February 24, 2015 at 5:39 pm (2 years ago)

This is so inspirational. Thank you for posting. I’m thinking about doing this in my old kitchen

15. Melanie
    April 11, 2015 at 2:50 pm (2 years ago)

I am getting ready to paint my kitchen cabinets with old white Sloan paint. (my favorite. Just finished my piano)I already did my laundry room and small bathroom, but it took Hours – no, days, to sand for an extremely smooth finish ( do everything this way). Is there anything I can do to NOT have to spend so much sanding?

16. Tina
    February 10, 2016 at 11:07 pm (1 year ago)

Beautiful! Love it all!

17. Tish
    June 23, 2016 at 2:47 pm (9 months ago)

I want to do the same thing to our daughter’s kitchen cabinets but my SIL wants to purchase all new cabinets. I hate to see perfectly good cabinets be trashed but well it isn’t my house!

18. Nancy
    July 30, 2016 at 7:55 am (8 months ago)

You did a great job. Question how did you remove the wood above the sink?